7th International Gender and Language Association Conference
June 20-22, 2012
Unisinos, São Leopoldo, Brazil
It is with great pleasure that we would like to announce the launching of the IGALA 7 (7th International Gender and Language Association Conference) website, available at: http://www.unisinos.br/eventos/igala7
We would like to invite you all to visit our website and already register as “users”, by opening a “site account” at:http://www.unisinos.br/eventos/igala/index.php/igala/IGALA7/user/account
Please, note that the website is *not* open for submissions yet. Submissions will open on June 30 and run until October 31, 2011.
IGALA 7 will be held at Universidade do Vale dos Sinos (UNISINOS), São Leopoldo, Brazil, on June 20-22, 2012.
Taking place for the first time in South America, the conference will provide researchers worldwide with an opportunity to present their work and share ideas in the fields of language, gender, and sexuality.
With the theme *Resignifying Gender and Sexuality in Language and Discourse*, IGALA 7 aims to bring together scholars from diverse fields of knowledge as well as geographical regions who are interested in broadening and deepening our understanding of the complex relationships among language, gender and sexuality. In so doing, we encourage new ways of signifying these concepts and their interrelationships, in the following thematic areas:
1. Gender, sexuality, body and identities
2. Gender, sexuality and health
3. Gendered performances as discourse
4. Gender and (dis)empowerment
5. Gender, class, ethnicity and age
6. Gender, sexuality and institutions
7. Gender, media and technology
8. Gender and violence
Guest Speakers include:
· Luiz Paulo da Moita Lopes (Universidade Federal do Rio de Janeiro, Brazil)
· Mary Bucholtz (University of California at Santa Barbara, USA)
· Kira Hall (University of Boulder, USA)
· Celia Kitzinger (University of York, UK)
· Guacira Lopes Louro (Universidade Federal do Rio Grande do Sul, Brazil)
IGALA 7 will include the following presentation formats:
Plenaries (guest speakers), Special Forums (guest speakers), Oral Presentations, Round Tables (also known as Panels), Workshops, and Posters.
Please watch this space for forthcoming announcements regarding call for papers, registration payment and other conference information.
We look forward to welcoming you to IGALA 7, 2012, in Brazil!
Ana Cristina Ostermann, IGALA President & IGALA 7 Chair
Further information on IGALA 7
· Website: http://www.unisinos.br/eventos/igala/
· Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Igala-7/187800897935547
· Twitter: http://twitter.com/#!/igalabrazil
· E-mail address: IGALA2012″at”gmail.com (Replace “at” with @ when emailing)